Household waste can really increase at Christmas, from packaging and gift wrapping, to glass bottles, chocolate tins, and Christmas trees.
New Forest District Council have this advice on how to dispose of some of your extra household waste and what can be recycled.
• Gift wrap paper – generally can’t be recycled because the majority of this paper is mixed with foils and plastics, which cannot later be separated.
It’s also difficult for the sorting machinery to recognise torn and screwed up paper.
Please put gift wrap in your black sack and it will be sent to the energy recovery facility.
• Glass bottles – glass bottles and jars can be recycled using the household glass collection – rinse them out, and remove the lids.
Always forget when to put it out?
www.newforest.gov.uk/remindme If you’ve got lots of extra glass over the festive period, remember you can still use our glass recycling banks.
• Cardboard packaging – can be flattened and folded and put in the clear recycling sacks.
Remember you can put out as many clear sacks for collection as you need to.
• Tins or plastic tubs of chocolates, sweets and biscuits – Metal tins whatever their shape, can go in your clear recycling sacks, along with all your tins, cans and aerosols.
Plastic containers such as tubs, pots and trays go in the black rubbish sack.
• Real Christmas trees – bring them to us from 2 January, and they will be chipped and re-used as mulch.
Please remember to remove all decorations first.
You can find your nearest drop-off point here https://www.newforest.gov.uk/christmasrefuse
• Large items – Do you need to dispose of an old sofa, fridge or other large household item?
If you’re unable to take it to a household waste recycling centre, you can use our ‘Bulky Waste Collection’ service https://www.newforest.gov.uk/recyclingandrubbish
The Christmas period can mean some overindulgence, with mountains of mince pies and piles of cheese and biscuits.
For lots of great advice to help you buy what you need, savvy tips to make your food last longer and recipe ideas to use up those leftovers visit the Love Food Hate Waste website: https://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/
To find out if there are any changes to the normal glass, or black and clear sack collection day over the festive period visit https://www.newforest.gov.uk/christmasrefuse or pick up a leaflet at Information Offices
Further information on what can be recycled in the New Forest district can be found at https://www.newforest.gov.uk/recycling
Search our site:
Members of the public are very welcome to attend Parish Council meetings. Please look out for our next agenda on the parish notice boards or on the website.
- Mon04Oct20217:30 pm
- Mon18Oct20217:30 pm