Your local police and Marchwood Parish Council would like you to enjoy the festive period. Please remember these valuable points to keep you and your property safe. Wishing all residents a Happy Christmas, stay safe everyone.
• Make sure your handbag is closed and you carry so a pick-pocket would find it difficult to get into without you knowing.
• Never leave a bag unattended in a trolley, even if for a couple of seconds.
• Try and keep wallets in an inside pocket and out of sight from a potential pick-pocket.
• Keep your PIN number confidential.
• When entering your PIN number at a terminal ensure no one can see you enter it.
• Try to pay for items on a debit card rather than carrying large amounts of cash. If this is not possible keep cash to a minimum.
• Before you leave your car, ensure all windows and doors are closed and locked.
• Avoid leaving your purchases and presents in your vehicle. If you must make sure they are not on display, store in the boot and make sure the car is locked.
• Park your car in a well-lit car park, preferably one that’s attended or displays the Park Mark logo.
• Think about the item you are buying someone, are there any security products you could purchase to help them keep it safe. I.e. if buying a bike think about also giving a decent ‘D’ lock.
• When loading your car in a supermarket car park, keep an eye on your trolley. It only takes a moment for someone to walk by and take something from the top of your trolley, whilst you may be putting something in the car.
• Keep an eye on your shopping bags, there are many distractions.
It only takes a moment for someone to pick up one of your shopping bags and walk away with it.
• If you see someone suspicious hanging around, cancel the transaction and use another cash-point.
• Before inserting you card have a look at the machine to check it looks normal.
• When entering your PIN number make sure others around cannot see.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; only withdraw what you reasonably need.
• Put your money and your cards away safely before leaving the machine.
If you are out for the evening:
• Drink sensibly and stay with your friends.
• Plan in advance how you will get home.
• Save the number of a licensed taxi firm in your mobile phone. Always check the driver’s identification and never get into an unlicensed taxi. Text the licence plate number to a friend.
• Don’t accept drinks from strangers or leave your drink unattended.
• Whether you are male or female, avoid walking alone and never take short cuts through dark alleys or large open spaces.
• Keep your belongings with you and your valuables out of sight, never leave your bag hanging over a chair or personal items left unattended.
• Don’t drink and drive, and remember you may still be over the limit the morning after a big night out.
• If you suspect a drink driver or have any information about any crime, please do not hesitate to report either via 101 or Crime Stoppers 0800 555 111.